Words, words, words, art.

The Blatherings Of A Blitherer

Oh hey, this is working now.

October26

I haven’t been posting much lately because for whatever reason I wasn’t able to put a cursor (and hence text) in the “post” area. Fun times, huh? But it’s working again now.

I could update y’all on work and how it’s going, but… that’s not really that interesting, and I’m still in the trial period (halfway through!) so they could still decide that I’m not a good fit and get rid of me. So I’m superstitiously hesitant about talking about work still, for the most part. I will say, however, that I adore everyone I work with.

I’ve been mulling over NaNo stuff lately and my original plan was to write scripts for “Corwalch” and my paleolithic-in-modern-times comics, and work on “As Honey” (my werewolf YA story) when I couldn’t think of anything to script. However, I think I might work on something all new instead. We watched “Disturbia” the other night, an updated and aimed at younger folks reworking of “Rear Window.” It was… tedious and predictable, with an uninteresting and unsympathetic protagonist. I kept waiting for interesting twists, and they kept… not coming. But I’ve been turning that movie over in my head and I think I want to do something with it.

The basic plot so far is this:

A young woman, a teenager, moves from the city to the suburbs. Her mom’s upset because her dad’s been working too much, spending too much time away from the family, she suspects he’s got a mistress or has been frequenting prostitutes or something. So the mom moves everyone out to the boring boring horrible suburbs. The young woman has a hard time meeting people and making friends at first, but soon strikes up an acquaintance with the guy her own age who lives next door. He’s agoraphobic and has OCD, lots of rituals to keep him safe. He’s also smart and funny and they get along really well.

He spies on his neighbors… maybe he’s compelled to keep tabs on them? Maybe he’s schizophrenic and thinks everyone’s up to something? I don’t know. I need to research this a bit. Anyway, he becomes convinced that the guy across the street has been murdering women and hiding the bodies.

Because there’s a serial killer on the lose. Someone’s preying on “lost” young women… prostitutes, homeless girls, etc. People who aren’t likely to be noticed if they go missing. Hell, maybe it’s a Zodiac type thing, where the killer is sending taunting letters to newspapers. Something to think about.

So the protagonist becomes convinced that the other kid’s neighbor is, in fact, the killer. She investigates his house, etc. They keep finding stuff that looks like it points to him as a murderer, but it turns out to be false trails.

In the end, it’s her own dad that’s the killer. He’s been killing young women to appease the universe, to keep his own daughter safe. There’s some kind of confrontation. Maybe he decides he has to kill his own daughter? To redeem her? Teen Boy or Neighbor busts in to save her, gets knocked out or something, she winds up saving herself (this is key to me, having a female character who doesn’t need to be saved by others, who solves her own distress). Or maybe he decides to kill Teen Boy and the protagonist has to save him. Figure out where he’s being held, go in, liberate him.

So, obviously, lots of work here. Lots of work ahead of me. I think this is a cool idea, though.

I had some other stuff to say, but I’ve forgotten it by now.

posted under NaNo, writing
10 Comments to

“Oh hey, this is working now.”

1. On October 26th, 2007 at 1:47 pm Eliza Says:

Hey– you don’t know me (great way to start off a comment, isn’t it?) but I found your blog a few weeks ago, and I really love your writing style. Would you be willing to post your Nano account URL, so your humble readers/fellow Nano participants could follow along? I’d love to see more of this.

2. On October 26th, 2007 at 1:53 pm Brigid Says:

Oooh, kind words! I feel so special. :)
    Thanks a lot.
    You can follow me at http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/81219 and I’ll be putting stuff up here, as well.

3. On October 26th, 2007 at 2:03 pm Eliza Says:

Oooh. I love the authors on your favorites list… It’s been a while since I ran into someone who knows who Lois McMaster Bujold is. :) Thank you! Good luck, and I’ll add you to my buddies list.

4. On October 26th, 2007 at 2:08 pm Brigid Says:

Haha! That’s so weird. I think that everyone I know (well, all my FRIENDS, anyway) read and love her. So it’s really disconcerting to hear someone say they don’t know anyone who knows her. it’s like “buh wuh? how is that possible?” heh. Guess I move in really small circles, huh?

5. On October 26th, 2007 at 2:12 pm Eliza Says:

… That is weird. I talk about the Vorkosigan series, and the nerds around me respond with the noncommittal, “Oh, ok” of an unconvinced recommendation. Perhaps it’s a regional thing?

6. On October 26th, 2007 at 2:19 pm Brigid Says:

Wow, I have no idea.

Because in my relatively wide circle of friends, almost everyone’s read her, and has different opinions as to their favorite works of hers (Vorkosigan, the Cordelia books specifically, the Sharing Knives books, the Chalion series). HOWEVER, I tend to hang out with really nerdy, really well read people. So we’re always thrusting books at each other.

Where are you? I’m in Chicago.

7. On October 26th, 2007 at 2:26 pm Eliza Says:

Spokane, Washington… though I used to be over in Seattle, and the same thing applies there. I heard about Bujold from a friend of mine who has a very particular taste in books (she also introduced me to Girl Genius, and is a big George Martin fan). … On the other hand, most of the people I know are industry-related, and I’m in the computer/gaming business… and that type of crowd tends to be multi-focused nerds and geeks, not all of whom are in the literary persuasion.

8. On October 26th, 2007 at 2:33 pm Brigid Says:

Ah, yeah. Most of my friends are big lit nerds, heavy into reading sci fi and fantasy.

Hey, if you haven’t already, check out The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.

9. On October 26th, 2007 at 2:38 pm Eliza Says:

Read it. :) And enjoyed it, for the most part… though I still can’t figure out why Locke insisting on putting the secret police aspect into his con when it was already working so well… that always bothered me. I’ve been hesitating on reading the second book, though… I’ve read a lot of Patrick O’Brian (he write some really in-detail nautical novels, some of the best historical fiction I’ve ever come across) and because of him some of the seafaring elements in ‘Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell’ stuck out like a sore thumb. I’m terrified that I’ll spot something wrong in Red Skies, and I love Lynch’s writing style.

10. On October 26th, 2007 at 2:48 pm Brigid Says:

Ahhh… I can see why you’d hesitate.

One thing that helps is that the books are told largely from Locke’s and Jean’s points of view, which means that they do make mistakes in terminology and stuff, simply because they aren’t seamen themselves.